top of page
  • Dr I L Vlad

How to get married in Romania: full guide

Last update: September 2018.

Are you looking to get married in Romania? If you only read one document, read this! Our guide will show you all the documents you need, and the procedures to go through, so that your Romanian marriage is a memorable experience, free of administrative glitches. Your marriage will be recognized abroad too.

01 Marriage in Romania: the basics

Where can I get married in Romania?

Romania has a civil law system, and according to its Constitution, civil marriage is the only legally valid form. This means that any kind of religious marriage is not valid. You can celebrate your marriage according to your rites only after you have concluded the civil marriage ceremony (there is a criminal penalty for the minister of religion for not respecting this rule).

This does not mean that you have to limit your options too much. Romania has over 3.000 administrative units (communes, towns and municipalities), each with their own civil status office. Most of them also have a 'marriage house' (Casa de Casatorii), which is specially fitted for marriage ceremonies. The full list of Romanian administrative units can be found here. The usual commune, town or municipality where a marriage takes place is the one where either of the future spouses has a legal residence. Don't worry, legal residence can be changed very easily, so you can decide on a beautiful setting, perhaps in the countryside, where your wedding will be the event of the town.

If you are the citizen of a country which has an Embassy or career Consulate in Romania, and your country allows it, you may also get married at the Embassy or Consulate. You can find the list of missions accredited to Romania (the Bucharest Diplomatic List) here (click on 'Lista corpului diplomatic' which is constantly updated). Because the rules concerning weddings at embassies of foreign countries are so varied, we cannot write them all here. But if you intend to do so, just drop us an e-mail and our experts will be there for you!

Exceptionally, if both spouses are Romanian citizens (although it is not necessary to be exclusively so - they can have multiple citizenship), they may marry on a ship flying the Romanian flag on the high seas. Romania is one of the few countries which allow the captain of a ship to perform marriages, which are then legally valid. However, we repeat, these marriages are open only to couples where both spouses are Romanian citizens! If you have foreign citizenship, you must first obtain Romanian citizenship, and then get married on a ship. If you have any questions about this fascinating way to get married just write an e-mail to us.

Who can get married in Romania?

Romania opens its marriages to anyone, regardless of faith, color or citizenship. At this time, however, Romania only allows heterosexual, monogamous marriages. Therefore, one cannot legally conclude a homosexual marriage, nor a second marriage if already married, in Romania. There is also no form of registered partnership under Romanian law, and foreign ones are not recognized. This means that a person who is in a same-sex marriage contracted abroad, or in a registered partnership (whether homosexual or heterosexual) contracted abroad, may marry in Romania without any bar, because the existing marriage or partnership is not recognized.

The following personal conditions apply for a legally valid marriage:

-> at least one future spouse must be resident or domiciled in the place where the marriage is to be performed. This is proven as follows:

1. For Romanian citizens with the domicile in Romania: with the Identity Card, or the Identity Card with the temporary residence sticker;

2. For Romanian citizens with the domicile abroad: with the temporary residence card for Romanian citizens domiciled abroad (valid one year);

3. For foreign citizens: with the Certificate of Registration, Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card.

-> both future spouses must be at least 18 years old and of sound mind, and have no incurable, communicable diseases. This is proven with the medical certificate regarding the state of health, which is specially issued by any family doctor, and is valid 14 days from the date of issue. Therefore, it comes late in the planning process. There is a legal obligation of each spouse to communicate to the other the state of their health.

-> both future spouses must be single, widowed or divorced.

02 The marriage file: documents needed

The marriage file is submitted to the civil status office of the place where you wish to get married, with 10-13 days before marriage. It comprises the following documents:

1. The declaration of marriage, which is filled in personally, by the future spouses, at the civil status office, and contains the wish to marry;

2. The document of identity. This is:

-> for Romanian citizens, the Identity Card, Identity Bulletin, Provisional Identity Card, or Passport for Romanians domiciled abroad;

-> for citizens of European Union member states, plus Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland, their national identity card or Passport;

-> for citizens of any other country, their Passport, containing the visa or entry stamp to Romania. If a visa is needed, it must be valid both at the time when you submit the file, as well as on the projected date of marriage. You can find everything about the Romanian visa here;

-> for stateless persons, the Passport issued on the basis of the 1954 Convention regarding the status of Stateless Persons, together with the temporary or permanent residency permit, if they are resident in Romania;

-> for persons benefiting of a form of protection in Romania (refugees or similar), the travel document issued on the basis of the 1951 Geneva Convention or the document for persons benefiting from subsidiary protection or conditional humanitarian protection, together with the card issued by the Romanian Immigration Office;

-> for asylum applicants living in Romania, their national Passport, plus the temporary identity document issued by Romania.

The following are not accepted: the temporary identity document for asylum applicants bearing the mention 'declared identity'; the document proving the status of a tolerated person; the decision of return (for rejected asylum applicants).

3. The proof of ending the previous marriage. This is:

-> the definitive divorce sentence, in the form of a copy legalized by the court which issued it, with the 'definitive' stamp applied. For Romanian citizens, if they divorced abroad, the divorce has to be recognized first by a Romanian court. We are here to help with this as well. Just write us an e-mail. If the foreign divorce document was non-contentious, you can use our smart form, branch K - Recognition of foreign non-contentious judgments.

-> the divorce certificate issued by the notary public or the town hall, for divorces by agreement which were undertaken at the notary or the civil status office;

-> the marriage certificate from the previous marriage and the death certificate of the previous spouse.

If you can't find any of these, we are here to help! Just use our smart form and select branch B - Marriage Certificate, D - Death Certificate or H - Notary and Judicial Records, respectively. If you need more than one, just put in as many inquiries as needed.

4. The birth certificate of each spouse, in original and photocopy. If you can't find it, we can help here as well! Just use our smart form and select branch A - Birth Certificate. For records from abroad, we can help through our smart form (for some countries), or try the embassy of your country.

5. The medical certificate issued by a Romanian generalist practitioner (can be the family doctor), stating expressly that each future spouse may or may not marry. This is valid only 14 days, so you need to get it immediately before submitting the marriage declaration.

6. Foreign citizens must also produce a Certificate of No Impediment. This takes various forms, the point being to have an official declaration that you are free to marry according to your national law. It can be either:

-> a proof issued by the diplomatic or consular mission of your country attesting that the material conditions for marriage, according to your law, are fulfilled;

-> a declaration authenticated by a Romanian public notary that you do not know of any legal reason which might obstruct the marriage, but only for citizens whose country is not represented in Romania (see the Diplomatic List here), and who therefore cannot obtain the document;

-> a recent (issued at most 3 months before) document issued by the national authorities of your state, or one which has a validity limit inscribed, to the same effect, but only for citizens of states with which Romania has legal assistance treaties in civil matters. You can find a list of examples here.

Citizens of the following countries must follow these special rules:

1. Switzerland: must present a 'Certificate of matrimonial capacity' issued at home, with an Apostille and legally translated into Romanian (see below);

2. The Czech Republic: must present the 'Civil Status Certificate' issued at home, and legally translated into Romanian (see below);

3. Germany: must present the 'Certificate of capacity to marry' issued at home, with an Apostille and legally translated into Romanian (see below);

4. Moldova: must present the 'Certificate of Civil Status' issued by the Ministry of Informational Development of Moldova, or the certificate issued by the consular missions of Moldova, without any other formality;

5. Ukraine: must present a declaration on their own responsibility, authenticated by the Ukraine Embassy or Consulate, or by the Romanian Notary, confirming they are not married;

6. Bosnia and Herzegovina: must present a 'certificate of custom' issued at home, legally translated into Romanian (see below);

7. Israel: must present the extract of civil status or extract from the population register, either being issued by the Interior Ministry of Israel, with an Apostille, and legally translated into Romanian (see below).

Any foreign document must respect the following conditions:

A. Multilingual Extracts can be used without any formality. See our blog post about Multilingual Extracts. For Multilingual Extracts from abroad, try or the embassy of your country;

B. In every other case (except documents from Moldova, written in Romanian), it must be legally translated into Romanian. We can help here. Just use our smart form, branch M - Legal Translations;

C. If it is from one of the countries in the List of Exemptions, it can be presented with the translation alone, without further formality;

D. If it is not in the List of Exemptions, but issued in a country which is a party to the 1961 Apostille Convention, it must bear the Apostille, and then be translated. The list of countries which are a party is here. Note that Apostilles from Kosovo are not recognized by Romania. Did you forget to Apostille your document? Try, which provides Apostilles for a large number of countries, or the embassy of your country;

E. If none of the above applies, then you have to obtain an international Legalization, and then translate the document. This article explains exactly how that is done.

7. Foreign citizens of countries which allow polygamy (nationally or by ethnic group or province) must also give a notary declaration that they are not already married.

Foreign citizens who do not speak Romanian must be attended, both when filing the marriage declaration, and on the day of marriage, by a Legal Interpreter, authorized by the Ministry of Justice. Be careful because these interpreters are hard to find in villages and smaller towns. You will need to contact one and make a firm contract in advance. You can find the official national list of authorized interpreters here. You can search by language ('Limbi') and by county of residence ('judet') to find one close to you.

Translators are the ones who translate documents. Interpreters are the ones who assist you in speaking (live translation). They need to be contacted individually as shown above.

03 The surname of the spouses: options available

Traditionally, in Romania, the wife took the surname of the husband. This ancient, backward and unequal practice is slowly (too slowly) going the way of the Dodo, and for good reason! Accordingly, the law has provided for several options. You must declare your option when you submit the marriage declaration. The options are:

1. Both spouses choose the surname of one of them (either the husband or the wife);

2. Each spouse keeps their own surname (i.e. nothing changes);

3. Both spouses take their reunited surnames (i.e., hyphenated surnames);

4. One spouse keeps the original surname and the other adds the other's surname, thus becoming hyphenated (e.g. Gratiela Popescu and Jack Smith-Popescu).

Your choice has important ramifications down the line, such as the names of the children, or the way you are known in society. However, there is one very practical and immediate effect. From the day of your marriage, the personal documents of the Romanian spouse (and usually the foreign spouse as well) who changed surname are not valid anymore. This means everything! Passport, identity card, driver's licence, credit cards etc. See the big warning sign down below as well.

-> Article continues below

Man and woman holding hands

04 The most important deal in your life: the matrimonial regime

What is the matrimonial regime?

The matrimonial regime is the set of rules which governs the division of wealth and debts within your marriage. There are some very basic rules which are immutable, for example that each spouse has economic autonomy (i.e. cannot be forced to choose a job, can have own bank accounts), that each spouse is entitled to periodically know the full economic situation of the other (including 'forgotten' properties or bank accounts), or the protection of the family home (i.e. the home where the children live - if there are any - may not be sold, or the tenancy terminated, by one spouse without the agreement of the other, regardless who owns it).

What are the options?

The legal default option is the 'community of property' regime. This means, in short:

-> all assets that each spouse owns before marriage remain individual assets;

-> all assets acquired for consideration (such as purchases or exchanges) during marriage become shared. The unfortunate legal tradition, brought over in the new Civil Code, means that the shares are not pre-determined. Therefore, surprises beckon. Theoretically, the share is determined at the end of marriage according to the contribution of each spouse. However, this is very hard to prove;

-> all assets acquired without consideration (such as gifts, or compensation) belong to the one who received them.

If you are ok with this regime, then you may declare so in the marriage declaration.

The second option is the regime of conventional community. This is like the legal community, but you can decide that some assets, or classes of assets (like a house or houses in general) should remain individually owned, or that the shared assets should have pre-determined shares like 50-50. The possibilities are quite complex.

The third option is the regime of separation of assets. This means, in short:

-> all assets that each spouse owns before marriage remain individual assets;

-> all assets acquired during marriage are also individual assets, of the one who acquired them;

-> assets acquired together have pre-determined shares, so everyone knows which percentage of each asset they own at any particular time.

An optional extra clause to the separation regime is the 'participation in acquisitions' clause. This means, in short, that, on ending the marriage, the spouse who earned more must give to the other spouse half the difference between the net increase in wealth of either spouse. Example: A enters the marriage with EUR 100,000 net wealth, and B with 90,000 net wealth. A exits the marriage with EUR 150,000 net wealth (a gain of 50,000), and B with EUR 160,000 net wealth (a gain of 70,000). B must give A EUR 10,000 (half the difference between 70,000 and 50,000).

When must we choose?

The choice must be made at least once, when you submit the marriage declaration. If you wish to choose any regime other than the default, you need to have made in advance a matrimonial contract at a notary public in Romania, and bring the photocopy to the civil status office. For the default, your simple declaration suffices.

If you wish to change the regime during marriage, you may do so at any time, through a matrimonial contract at a notary public in Romania.

Special rules for international couples regarding matrimonial regimes

An unusual feature of matrimonial regimes is that they are dynamic and part of the area of individual autonomy in law.

The dynamic character means that if you move your common habitual residence to another country, even if you both have the same citizenship, the matrimonial regime changes: it becomes the default regime of your new country of residence. Beware because the world is full of odd, unusual and unsuspected rules in this field.

The individual autonomy means that couples with an international link (either one of the spouses has foreign citizenship, or they decide to change residence to another country) may choose not only their matrimonial regime, but the entire system of law which governs their marriage. Example: if you are a Romanian and a French citizen, you may exit completely the constraints of the Romanian legal system, and choose French law as applicable to your marriage. This is an awesome power! Among other things, it lets you deal more easily with creditors, protect your assets, have special rules regarding inheritance etc. As with any awesome power, it should be used with wisdom.

We are here to help! Our attorney office is specialized in international families, and therefore can advise you on the pros and cons of choosing one particular matrimonial regime, and, in complex cases, building the architecture of your and your family's wealth for the future. Just write us an e-mail and we will propose an individual consultation. It is one of the only two areas where Dr Ioan-Luca Vlad gives bespoke, individual consultations (the other is international estate planning).

05 The 10 day waiting period

After you have filed for marriage, you must wait 10 days, including the day of filing. Throughout this time, the fact that you are getting married (i.e. your names and dates of birth) will be published in some way. Most town halls just put the list up on a door. Some put it up online. In any case, theoretically anyone with a legal interest may file an opposition to your marriage. In practice, unless you have a 'forgotten' spouse, this never happens.

06 The marriage ceremony itself

You can marry legally between the 11th and the 14th day from when you filed for marriage. The ceremony is very simple and straightforward. We recommend doing this in a smaller town or commune, because in the bigger ones it has the air of a processing plant: couples and a small group of family and friends go in, say the words, get out, and someone calls in the next. Not very special.

You will need: your identity documents and two witnesses. The witnesses must be 18 years of age or older, and of sound mind. For procedural ease, try choosing Romanian citizens.

The order of business:

-> the couple enters the designated room or hall, together with the family and friends, and presents their identity documents and those of the two witnesses;

-> the mayor or the deputy, wearing the tri-color sash representing state authority, asks the following question of each future spouse: 'Citizen ..., do you freely and not forced by anyone take citizen ... in marriage?"

-> each future spouse must answer clearly and loudly. If they do not speak Romanian, the interpreter must be present (see above point 04);

-> once the answers have been given, the mayor then reads a certain extract from the Romanian Constitution and Civil Code dealing with the essential tenets of family life;

-> after the reading, the mayor proclaims the couple married. The spouses and witnesses sign in the marriage register and receive the marriage certificate.

Most couples don't realize this, but if either of the spouses changes their surname, this comes into force on the day of marriage. Immediately after writing the marriage certificate, the mayor takes the Romanian passport or identity card of this spouse and physically destroys it by cutting with scissors! This is usually a shock to most people. It also has very practical implications, namely:

1. The newly wed is left without a valid national identification document, so must spend some time and money to get one fast;

2. All the other legal documents such as passports, driver's licence etc., but also private things like credit cards, are not valid anymore. You need to get new ones. This is usually the case for foreign citizens as well;

3. International travel is basically impossible, because most airlines do not allow changes of name. However, you can go over this in several ways:

-> organize your honeymoon in Romania;

-> obtain a new Romanian passport using the emergency application process;

-> book your travel using the future name, before the marriage (though running the risk of loosing it if something goes wrong).

After the civil marriage ceremony, some couples organize a reception, others go on to celebrate according to their rites as well. In Romania, ministers of religion are not allowed to undertake religious marriages before seeing the civil marriage certificate first.

07 The marriage certificate

The marriage certificate is the document which attests the relationship of marriage. It includes the parentage of each spouse, as well as a mention of the matrimonial regime. If it is not the default one, it is a reference to the notary act establishing it.

You will need your marriage certificate for many things, including:

-> proving the parentage of your children;

-> proving your entitlement to represent your spouse in various administrative situations, like collecting a pension if they can't move out of the house, or asking for medical help in their name;

-> proving your right to inheritance;

-> registering your home as a family home, protected by law;

-> getting your marriage recognized abroad (see below).

Did you loose your marriage certificate? Don't worry! We are here to help. Just use the smart form, branch B - Marriage Certificate.

08 Getting your marriage recognized abroad

If you are a foreign citizen who has married in Romania, you will need to have your marriage recognized abroad in your own country. Countries fall into three big categories from this point of view:

A. Countries which request the 'transcription' of your marriage in their own civil status records (like Romania does), in order to be recognized;

B. Countries which allow, but do not require, the registration of your marriage with their authorities (the United Kingdom is an example), requiring just the properly authenticated Romanian marriage certificate to recognize the marriage; and

C. Countries which do not allow, nor require any such registration, where you prove your marriage only with the properly authenticated Romanian marriage certificate.

If in doubt, you can check with your embassy, or drop us an e-mail.

In every case, the Romanian marriage certificate will have to be in one of the following forms:

A. The original with a legal translation, for countries in this list.

B. The form of a Multilingual Extract, for countries which are parties to the Vienna Convention establishing Multilingual Extracts (there are 24 countries). See our blog post and find all about it.

C. The original, with an Apostille, for countries members of the 1961 Apostille Convention. Our Apostille page has all the details.

D. The original, with a Legalization, for every other country. Our Legalization page has all the details.

Don't want to do this yourself? Whatever your situation, we can help! Just use our smart form to order a marriage certificate, and we will tell you what formality you need, and provide it for you as well!

09 One word about the 'family booklet' ('livretul de familie')

The family booklet is an optional document, valid only in Romania, which helps to prove the membership of a family at any time, but only if the family has children. As such, you can order it for free, from the civil status office of the place of your residence in Romania, for you and your entire family, after the birth of your first child. Existing families can order it as well, regardless of the age of the children. If you have misplaced the underlying certificates (birth and marriage certificates for the spouses, birth certificate for the child), we can always help.

This concludes our Getting Married in Romania guide. Stay tuned to this blog, as we will be publishing more useful resources regarding Romanian documents, in English!

Questions? Just write to us and we will be there to help!

bottom of page